[Harp-L] 'A' harp cutting through, telling guitarists to turn down

Chris Michalek writes:
"D harp 3rd position cuts through adequately. Or tell the guitarists
to turn down"

Hey list,
I see this advice all the time on this list, & in real life this is just not
practical.  In the best of all possible worlds, you could get guitarists,
bassists, drummers, et al. to turn down at will. Not in this life.  I play in a
rock band. The music is loud. Too loud. The guys in my band are generally easy
to get along with, but do not want me telling them how to shape their sound.
Even if they turn down temporarily, the sound will creep back up.
  I don't like it at all, but that's the way it is. It was even worse when I
was playing with horns. A trumpet next to your head is louder than most guitar
amps.  I have learned that the best defense is a good offense. My rig is
LOUD. I am not completely happy with the way it sounds, but at least I can be
heard.
The idea that you are going to get a guy with a huge investment in amps &
guitars to turn down so you can hear your harp is usually not realistic. If you
play in a band that plays loud, you have to learn to deal with it.
Otherwise, find a different band.

later, Rosco
maybe august