bluegrasser in Maryland.

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 08:43:52 -0500 Message-ID: <199409021343.IAA03673@eden>
WKU.EDU Subject: Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)/Nashville

I have recently relocated in Nashville after having spent much time traveling
throughout the country and have come across a very new way(to me) of treating
open mics/jams. While blues jams here are very much like the rest of the
country(one signs up, and plays with other musicians, often musicians one
doesn't know nor has played with before, and, the testosterone level is high),
open mics are generally an invite only situation. At least during prime hours.

Nashville prides itself as "Music City USA" and while it is recognized
primarily as the country music recording capital, there is a wide variety of
music here(to my surprise). As well as having the Grand Ole Opry,
Nashville boasts one of the most progressive rock stations I have
heard(comparable to KCBO(?) in Boulder). The live music talent in this town is
phenomenal. Every burger flipper and 7/11 clerk in town is a musician hoping
to make the big-time. There's a lot of blues as well as traditional country,
current country, bluegrass and rock. Lots of clubs but don't expect to get
paid much to play - there's too much competition for the venues.

The open mic's generally run from 7-11PM, are invite only and the material
better be originals. Generally one gets to play four songs. Cover material is
majorly frowned upon. If they catch you doing someone else's material you
won't be asked back(after receiving a chastizing lecture). To get invited to
play, one can come in at 11PM or later and audition. No guarantees though. The
music is not all country either. At the open mic/writer's nights, the music
spans the spectrum and by my statistical study, only about 20% country(this
study has a margin of error of +/-50% :-)).

Some clubs require that the writer have an album as an audition(tape is OK but
CD is preferable - as one club owner told me "if you have a CD I know you're
serious, if you have a tape I know you have a garage" - true story and he was
serious). Then, the invite is only for three songs. If that performance
impresses the right people, the writer could be invited back for a
showcase(one 45 minute set - all originals). There are several clubs that
operate this way and there are a ton of writers in this town.

At some of the clubs, if you're talking during a writers performance, the
waiter/waitress will ask you to please be quiet or leave. The audiences have
very acute ears and are somewhat jaded. It takes a lot to impress them but
they always politely applaud. They do show their appreciation for an
outstanding song or performance though. Applause is also forthcoming after a
good solo.

Surprisingly, there is a shortage of very good harmonica players in this town.
Lot's of Charlie McCoy clones but no blues players on the order of Paul Delay
or Rod Piazza etc. There are though some amazing singers and guitar players
who work at a factory during the day.

Sorry I got so windy about this.