Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)/Nashville

I have recently relocated in Nashville after having spent much time
traveling throughout the country and have come across a very new way(to me)
of treating open mics/jams. While blues jams here are very much like the
rest of the country(one signs up, and plays with other musicians, often
musicians one doesn't know nor has played with before, and, the
testosterone level is high), open mics are generally an invite only
situation. At least during prime hours.

Nashville prides itself as "Music City USA" and while it is recognized
primarily as the country music recording capital, there is a wide variety
of music here(to my surprise). As well as having the Grand Ole Opry,
Nashville boasts one of the most progressive rock stations I have
heard(comparable to KCBO(?) in Boulder). The live music talent in this town
is phenomenal. Every burger flipper and 7/11 clerk in town is a musician
hoping to make the big-time. There's a lot of blues as well as traditional
country, current country, bluegrass and rock. Lots of clubs but don't
expect to get paid much to play - there's too much competition for the
venues.

The open mic's generally run from 7-11PM, are invite only and the material
better be originals. Generally one gets to play four songs. Cover material
is majorly frowned upon. If they catch you doing someone else's material
you won't be asked back(after receiving a chastizing lecture). To get
invited to play, one can come in at 11PM or later and audition. No
guarantees though. The music is not all country either. At the open
mic/writer's nights, the music spans the spectrum and by my statistical
study, only about 20% country(this study has a margin of error of +/-50%
:-)).

Some clubs require that the writer have an album as an audition(tape is OK
but CD is preferable - as one club owner told me "if you have a CD I know
you're serious, if you have a tape I know you have a garage" - true story
and he was serious). Then, the invite is only for three songs. If that
performance impresses the right people, the writer could be invited back
for a showcase(one 45 minute set - all originals). There are several clubs
that operate this way and there are a ton of writers in this town.

At some of the clubs, if you're talking during a writers performance, the
waiter/waitress will ask you to please be quiet or leave. The audiences
have very acute ears and are somewhat jaded. It takes a lot to impress them
but they always politely applaud. They do show their appreciation for an
outstanding song or performance though. Applause is also forthcoming after
a good solo.

Surprisingly, there is a shortage of very good harmonica players in this
town. Lot's of Charlie McCoy clones but no blues players on the order of
Paul Delay or Rod Piazza etc. There are though some amazing singers and
guitar players who work at a factory during the day.

Sorry I got so windy about this.