Re: [Harp-L] Best Zoom H2 settings with loud music please?

James Sterett <jsterett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For my live recordings, I set the mics to L, use auto gain, no compression or limiter (any effects such as that can be added in post-production) and let it rip

i agree about not using any effects when recording. you want to capture the sound as accurately as possible, and mess around with it later. but for the same reason, i never use any kind of auto gain control. changing the gain during recording distorts the recording in a way you can't correct. you lose the dynamics, where some parts are loud, and others quiet. better to capture it straight up, and correct the levels later if needed.

there have been times when my initial levels were too high, or too low.
i try and only modify them between songs, to make it easier to correct.
but sometimes i have no choice but to correct midsong, if the levels are
dangerously high.  once you get clipping, you're screwed.  when i do change
levesl midsong, i write down what i did in a small notebook i keep, for
later reference.  audacity makes it pretty easy to locate the exact
spot the levels changed, so you can fix it.

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.