Re: [Harp-L] Best Zoom H2 settings with loud music please?

Dennis, I believe you can set the levels manually so as to avoid getting too hot, however, I've found that recording everything on L is the way to go.  It gives you the best chance of avoiding distortion, any of which makes a recording more or less unusable.  For my live recordings, I set the mics to L, use auto gain, no compression or limiter (any effects such as that can be added in post-production) and let it rip   I've got a 2Gb card and record most things as 44.1 wav files (an hour set is about 500Mb.)  I transfer the files onto my PC, and using Audacity, I first equalize, then amplify (if necessary.)  Generally, I get good results either plugging the Zoom directly into the output channel of our preamp or using the internal mics in the room.  Recently, the band has purchased a Rode NT4 mic to connect to the Zoom which has now taken us to another level of quality.

http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NT4

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> dennis moriarty <dmoriarty@xxxxxxxxxx> 5/12/2008 10:12 AM >>>
I believe I've posted this inquiry before and know I should do my own
manual study but i need the info by this evening and I'm working all
day. My situation: A bar: A loud band with two guitarists, and a need
to keep the recorder very local for theft prevention. In this
situation I used L (low gain) once and the recording was too low so
next I used M (medium gain) and it was improved with nearly 0
clipping. Are there any internal settings other than the 3 gain (L-M-
H) that I  should utilize in a loud live situation where I want the
harp to come through clearly via my amp (Mini-Meteor). Thanks so much! d
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues