Re: [Harp-L] re: Blues in Nurnburg (warning....long)

Hi Joe,

> > Joe, we not-american people aren't stupid, at least the most part
> > of us.
>
> Don't remember inferring that :)

Well, you mentioned, that people from outside of the US would think, all
american people would be rich. To think that, would assume a good part of
stupidity. I heard some rumors, that not each and everything in TV
commercials wouldn't show the reality. ;-) You get, what i mean?

> Re-read the post. I think you missed a few points
> 1...... the year..... 1956 (not much TV at THAT time)
> 2...... my age......  14
> 3...... my quote... "to want everything to be American is unfair to
> the natives of that country"
> conclusion: I was actually speaking UP for non-Americans. After all,
> some of them spent hundreds, yes even thousands of years developing
> their cultures and as such, these diverse cultures should be enjoyed.

Well, so - probably - i misunderstood you. I didn't notice, that you spoke
about people in 1956.

> Yes, I understand, but assuming that I don't remember much previous
> to age 6, that leaves from 6 till 18 to get a (general) impression.
> So, the question is: Why would I COME to such an impression. It had
> to come from somewhere. Remember, it was only my opinion and
> shouldn't be taken as either gospel or definite. I also was not
> stupid. Not even at 14  :)

Yep. So let's say: When you've been in the age of 14, it felt for you like
everyone would think, all Americans would be rich people.

Better so? :-)

> Ok, that sounds reasonable. So, what you're saying is that America
> didn't influence you (as was the point I was making...that it DID).

What had an influence, was the music. I didn't start to play blues for the
reason of emulating Americans. Let's take an american symphony orchestra - do
they play Mozart, because they want to emulate Austrians?
I don't think so - i assume they do it, because it's great music.

> Ok, that's your taste and that's your prerogative. And the point 'I'
> was making was that I preferred to listen to the local indigenous
> music...that's all I was saying. I DID add that it was only my opinion.

Point taken.

> > We could discuss wether we Europeans would have a direct link to
> > the situation
> > of the black americans in the US or not, but the same question
> > could be asked
> > for the white Americans as well...
>
> Don't understand the black reference. I made no such reference. Or,
> is it that blues are associated with black Americans.

Let's say, that where it comes from. In East Germany, where i was born, some
snotty people said, that white men couldn't really play the blues, because
they wouldn't live under such circumstances as black people do.

> In that case, it further proves my position that blues are not the reference
> music for ALL Americans. In my particular case, that would be Italian &
> Polish musics. I don't happen to like either. I DO, however, happen
> to like blues & jazz. I just wouldn't want to hear blues if I were in
> Brasil.

Well, that's up to you. But i can promise to you: When the "baraca" on the
small beach across the road has opened 'til 4 am each night, and is running
music so incredibly loud, that you can't get a minute of sleep, then - after
some days - you don't want to hear a single bar of Samba anymore. Some days
one or two guys came along with their huge drums and helped the stereo a
bit... Asking them for a little less volume would be answered with "Hey,
that's pure fun, come on and have a drink with us!", asking the police for
help would cause a laughing "yes, for sure, would you please hunt down some
gangsters for us while we try to make them drinkers act less loud?"
One night i took my MP3-player, plugged the earphones in and the music from
out there was louder than my MP3. Complete resignation, a good glass of high
percentage stuff and the information from the bartender, that they'd close at
4 am was the last resort...

> My post was meant to be light hearted. If it was mis-understood, I am
> sorry. Most of my education was in Europe.

Wellwell...when i read my mail later, i thought, it could be taken as harder
than intended - God knows, what rode me then...

Nevertheless, good german traditional music is pretty hard to find here, and
it's way to much effort to try to find some, usually. I don't know, if
there's such a thing like "Pop-Bluegrass" in the US, but if the answer is
yes, then you know, what i'm talking about. :-)

So...gotta go, there's a nice jam session out there...

Seeya,
Ralf