Re: [Harp-L] re: Blues in Nurnburg (warning....long)

On Jan 25, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Ralf K. Buschner wrote:

Joe, we not-american people aren't stupid, at least the most part of us.

Don't remember inferring that :)

We have not only electricity in our homes, we have also telephones and TV.

Ok

I think, the big majority doesn't believe in every American beeing like J.R.
Ewing or Sue Ellen. I hate to say that, but i think, your imagination of the
average European is a bit odd.

Re-read the post. I think you missed a few points
1...... the year..... 1956 (not much TV at THAT time)
2...... my age...... 14
3...... my quote... "to want everything to be American is unfair to the natives of that country"
conclusion: I was actually speaking UP for non-Americans. After all, some of them spent hundreds, yes even thousands of years developing their cultures and as such, these diverse cultures should be enjoyed.

It's not to offend you, but you should simply
think of non-americans as on the same level than americans. There's basically
no difference.

Yes, I understand, but assuming that I don't remember much previous to age 6, that leaves from 6 till 18 to get a (general) impression. So, the question is: Why would I COME to such an impression. It had to come from somewhere. Remember, it was only my opinion and shouldn't be taken as either gospel or definite. I also was not stupid. Not even at 14 :)

But that's not the main part, only some remarks beside the actual point:

The reason for playing "american" music here in Europe is not to imitate or
emulate Americans. Lets take us blues people: I think, i speak for the most
part of us, when i say, that we play those blues, because they move us, and
they represent our feelings as good as possible.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. So, what you're saying is that America didn't influence you (as was the point I was making...that it DID).

Other people may like different styles of music, but i never found a particular one the fits to my
likings better than blues with all it's shades. That doesn't mean, that i
wouldn't like other music - music is a whole universe with so many different
great styles of expression, but on the long run i always return to blues.

Ok, that's your taste and that's your prerogative. And the point 'I' was making was that I preferred to listen to the local indigenous music...that's all I was saying. I DID add that it was only my opinion.

We could discuss wether we Europeans would have a direct link to the situation
of the black americans in the US or not, but the same question could be asked
for the white Americans as well...

Don't understand the black reference. I made no such reference. Or, is it that blues are associated with black Americans. In that case, it further proves my position that blues are not the reference music for ALL Americans. In my particular case, that would be Italian & Polish musics. I don't happen to like either. I DO, however, happen to like blues & jazz. I just wouldn't want to hear blues if I were in Brasil.

There's much more to say about all that stuff, but i'll finish that mail
here...

My post was meant to be light hearted. If it was mis-understood, I am sorry. Most of my education was in Europe.

See ya, Ralf

That's a deal smokey joe