Re: [Harp-L] Re: Watermelon Man

From: "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
Ok, I see where I got confused. I haven't been following the Lee Oskar convention of naming the
key of the Melody Maker according to the cross harp position.

By that convention my "Ab XB-Melody" would be called an Eb XB-Melody! But because my XB-Melody
began its life as an Ab XB-40, I always called it an Ab XB-Melody. And I will continue to do so.

But now that I understand what's going on here, let me rephrase my original question -

What position is the key of A on a "G" Lee Oskar Melody Maker?

The G (2nd position) Lee Oskar Melody Maker is an altered C harp. A is Dorian minor in this case but what we think of as positions kind of breaks down. Lee Oskar labels it as 1st position but since we normally think of 1st position as 1 or 4 blow it is confusing since it is shifted over to the 3 blow. And due to the "Paddy" alteration the 3 blow doesn't match the 2 draw any more (it's what we normally double bend the 3 draw to get). To me the whole positions thing is turned a bit on it's head with altered harps.

Looks like once again, something makes sense to me but when I try to explain it I just confuse people. :0)

Peace and music,
Dave