  From: Mojo Red
  To: John Kerkhoven ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:26 AM
  Subject: [Harp-L] Butter's "missing" Work Song note (was cannonball adderly)

  Hi John,

  I've attempted to play the Work Song on short harp
  and I think the missing note would require a 7
  overdraw to "get it right." Least ways, when I play
  it in 3rd position, that's the case. Did Butter do
  it in 3rd? If so, that's likely the cause of the
  stir. It is certainly the reason I mainly cover it
  with a button harp.

  Here's some make-shift tab for the Work Song in 3rd
  on short harp.

  4 4 5 6+ 6 6 6+ 6 7+
  4 4 5 6+ 5 4 4 4+ 4

  4 4 5 6+ 6 6 6+ 6 7+
  6 6 6 7+ 6 7+OD   6

  8 6 7+ 6 6+ 6 5 5 4 4+ 4 4+
  4 4 5 6+ 6' 6+ 5 6+ 5 4

  4+ 4 6+ 6
  4 4 6 6+

  6 6+ 5 6+ 5 4 4+ 4

  I'm thinking that pesky 7OD is the note that Butter
  avoided, as did William Clarke when he covered it
  (even though he did it using a chromatic).

  Hope this helps. Not totally sure whether I'm right
  though as I don't have Butter's version on hand to
  verify.

  Harpin' in Colorado,
  --Ken M.

  --- John Kerkhoven <solo_danswer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>