[Harp-L] Mark Hummel interviews Magic Dick

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Mon Sep 23 12:20:46 EDT 2024

   Enjoyed the 3 part interview; as I have all of Dick's interviews over
the years. I've had a quote of his stuck in my brain for decades.
Something to the effect of, "I sculpture sound."  I love that!
   I read a lot of musical biographies.  I'm always tickled when I find an
unexpected harmonica reference in them.  A few years ago I picked up a bio
on Roy Eldridge.  For those who don't recognize the name, Roy "Little Jazz"
Eldridge was one of greatest jazz trumpeters of the 20th century.  A force
of nature who, just by the way he phrased and placed his notes while
soloing, could lock a rhythm section into a groove and make it swing even
harder.
   Late in his career, Roy had a steady gig at a New York club called
Ryan's. Fellow trumpeter Spanky Davis recalls:

   "He (Eldridge) had fans from all walks of life that used to come into
Ryan's.  One of them, whose name was Magic Dick, was part of a harmonica
act.  He gave Roy a really good trumpet, maybe a gold Besson, as a gift.
Roy was pleased and said jokingly, "Gee thanks, but I wish I had your
name."  ROY ELDRIDGE---Little Jazz Giant
John Childers

   A few years ago there was some noise about bringing Magic Dick and his
current partner, Shun Ng, to a SPAH convention. I've been waiting 30 years
for that to happen and hope someday it does.  I don't think I'm alone in
that, either.

Mick Zaklan