[Harp-L] Lesson for kids

Tin Lizzie TrackHarpL@xxxxx
Tue Mar 28 19:24:06 EDT 2023

> On Mar 28, 2023, at 6:40 PM, Dan Weimer wrote:
>
> Subject: [Harp-L] Lesson for kids
>
> Cheers, all.? I'm a returning member from a thousand years ago.? I don't play much anymore, and I haven't been on stage in probably about fifteen years.? I was amazed, and at the same time not, that this group was still here, but if it's anything like I remember it, it's the ideal place to come with a question like this.
> My son is in a Cub Scout troop with a really good den leader and it's a fun and active group, and they're leaning hard on parents to lead a session teaching something.? Well, when I noticed no one playing any music around the campfire at those outings, I figured I could probably help with that (not like I know anything else useful to that demographic).? So, I've been tabbed to lead a one hour group lesson to a bunch of 8 year olds who are going to be handed Hohner Bluesbands, starting from square zero.? There will be about ten kids, and it's up to me to keep it together first and foremost, then, just maybe, teach them something.

I second what Rubin said, especially:  Demo, THEN pass out the harps.  :-)

If they want more, after the train imitation:  When I helped Joe Filisko with the kids' program at SPAH one year, he taught them "Skip to My Lou", which is an easy tune for kids to get, familiar to most, and can be accompanied with just two chords.  From there you can encourage them to work out melodies that THEY like.  And you can introduce (ha, position playing!) that different tunes work better or not-so-better depending on which blow or draw note you start on.  Encourage experimentation with that, then set them loose.  I might be dating myself, but the theme song for "Gilligan's Island" lays out really well starting on 6-draw (i.e. in 3rd position, but you don't have to say that part).

Good luck!

Tin Lizzie