[Harp-L] Lesson for kids

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Mon Mar 20 21:22:39 EDT 2023

Imo, way too much info.

Play a song.

Show them a bit about the harp.  I can play one note.  I can play more than
one note, called a chord.  I can make the note go lower (bend) or higher
(Overblow).

I can make a quiet loud sound.  Use your hands to make a wa wa sound.

Hand them the harps.  Let them play.

Teach them to blow twice.  Teach them to inhale twice.

Now put it all together.

Check each kid for mastery.

Now talk about steady timing.

Play it 3 times in a row.  Ask them to sense your timing and then repeat
after you.

Play a train, start slow, speed it up and slow down again.

Intersperse it with a whistle, 3 4 5 draw with hand vibrato.

Teach them to do the whistle.

Check each kid for mastery.

Explain that it is ok to play the rhythm, then pause and center yourself on
3 4 5 draw, then whistle, then  pause, then center on 1 2 3 and play the
chugging again.

Have the kids each play you a train.

That's my hour long lesson.