[Harp-L] Beyerdynamic M88?

Mike Fugazzi harpninjamike@xxxxx
Mon Jul 31 10:10:32 EDT 2023

I have a Beyerdynamic M160, which is the best mic I have ever used hand
held. It is the same one Lee Oskar and Mickey Raphael use.  It is a ribbon
mic, but not as fragile as a typical ribbon.  That being said, I do baby it
and am looking for feedback on the M88 for harmonica.  It was stated online
Mickey had used one, but I have no proof of it.  Filip Jers uses one, and
it sounds great online.  Will Wilde uses one through an amp and it
sounds great.

Anyone use one and have input?  I usually don't use an amp, and if I do, it
is a Blackface style set very clean.

I have several mics - Ultimate 58, Ultimate 545, Audix Fireball, Audix
Fireball V, Electrovoice 631, and a Hohner HB52.  Basically, I find all but
the 58 and Fireball to be too dirty for my taste.  I don't like the mid
honk on the 58, and the Fireball is my current go to for bar gigs, but it
is very bright and doesn't have the proximity effect of the M160.  Both the
58 and Fireball sound further away than the M160 if that makes sense.  The
Fireball has a glassier sound or a more pronounced high end I find myself
trying to EQ most the time.

Here is a clip of the M160 direct - https://youtube.com/shorts/z4a-8-uYfdI

And one live  - https://youtube.com/shorts/WkK2y3gWomM

The M160 needs barely any eq ever, and I play pretty aggressively.  If
that's a 10/10 for me, I'd give the Fireball and 7/10 and the 58 a 5/10.

Thanks!

--
*Mike Fugazzi*
*Vocals/Harmonica*