[Harp-L] Suzuki SUB-30 & "Double Reed" bends

Mike Fugazzi harpninjamike@xxxxx
Wed Aug 23 10:54:00 EDT 2023

The SUB 30 should have been great.  I remember trying a demo version at
SPAH that was fantastic, I think.  Wasn't there one set up they were trying
to get Howard Levy to try?  That might have been a custom Manji, though.
Regardless, at that time, if felt like Suzuki would sort of bait and switch.

  I hurriedly bought the first three keys of the SUB 30 available and found
them to be unplayable.  They required A LOT of customizing to make them
viable to the point where I didn't think it was sustainable for me.  I
wanted to play the Marine Band X Reed version, but decided to wait to see
if they were sustainable and going to be around for a while.  To me, I want
to make sure what I am learning to do is sustainable, and worth my time.

IMHO, Suzuki took too many short cuts on the mass produced version and
there was a point of diminishing returns where overbending, alternate
tunings, or playing a different position were all more sustainable and
practical for me.  Rockin' Ron is selling them for $200 in the key of D.
They are not worth $200, IMO.  Of all the "new" designs for harmonica, this
one made the most sense to me as it didn't require theoretically require
relearning a whole instrument (some of the more exotic alternate tunings
are like this).