[Harp-L] Help find Western swing player

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Mon Sep 26 20:49:59 EDT 2022

Well, not that it makes any difference to me, but as I recall there were
vibes on the very earliest BB King trax.
But when it comes to 'blues', there's 'the' blues, and there's 'a' blues.
The 'the' variety doesn't necessarily
have to be 8, 12, 16 or 32. J.L.Hooker stays on one chord half the time; is
still undoubtedly 'the blues' if not
necessarily 'a blues'. The 'a' blues, might be a blues in form, but not
'the' blues.
Charlie McCoy invented a style that is now generally referred to as
'Bluegrass' harmonica.
McCoy never called it that.
I'd be interested to hear what this cat did on his harp under the label of
Western Swing.
I detest labels; recording company execs make them up; the rest of us just
play music.
Cheers,
RD