[Harp-L] Help find Western swing player

David Naiditch davidnaiditch@xxxxx
Sun Oct 2 14:29:03 EDT 2022

Over the years, I’ve dabbled in western swing.  What I like most about this music is the way swing jazz is merged with country.  Here are a few of my chromatic harmonica recordings that capture some of that western swing groove.

Montana Skies was written by the swing guitarist Paul Reynoso and played by New West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp39-I3C5wE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp39-I3C5wE>
Panhandle Rag by Leon McAuliffe is a well-known western swing tune:

https://youtu.be/SC0aRMNKn8g <https://youtu.be/SC0aRMNKn8g>
Back Home Again in Indiana is played with the jazzy swing groove so common in western swing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4DGlSmZU8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4DGlSmZU8>
Here is a western swing influenced version of Charmaine with a fiddle section reminiscent of Spade Cooley’s music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbuHlWVfeZ0 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbuHlWVfeZ0>
Gardenia Waltz was written by one of the finest western swing fiddlers, Johnny Gimble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCyZtfMRJM <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCyZtfMRJM>
Faded Love was written by the western swing giant, Bob Wills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYA2IriDfE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYA2IriDfE>
Here is a western swing influenced version of All of Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQa1nAonUZo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQa1nAonUZo>
Little Rock Getaway is often played with pedal steel or lap steel guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKepRcgq1o <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKepRcgq1o>
Here is a western swing version of Sweet Georgia Brown and incorporates many jazz tones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZd5jk_s78E <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZd5jk_s78E>
Twinkle Little Star is a traditional country tune that is often played with a western swing feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F96RWSK12U8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F96RWSK12U8>
Here is a western swing influenced version of Exactly Like You:

https://youtu.be/af1dUnmZAvc <https://youtu.be/af1dUnmZAvc>
Sunrise on the Guinea Farm is often played in the western swing style:

https://youtu.be/4fPiPVONr7s <https://youtu.be/4fPiPVONr7s>