[Harp-L] Playing chromatically on a diatonic (was Will Scarlett's place in the history of overblows)

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Thu Feb 17 21:46:47 EST 2022

I can't say I can pick the OBs on this. It's a fairly 'stifled' tone, in
general,
which is what I hear from both reversed single reeds (OB/OD) and heavily
embossed
harps. I can usually spot the technique in performances.
If I listen to this on a lower speed, there are some 'click' sort of sounds
before quite a few of the notes,
but that may only be the recording.
Anyhow, it is just my opinion. A thirty reed harp, properly valved ( and
for my money, they do not need embossing)
has a far richer sound. All the bends sound the same, and just....better!
Also the technique is just plain old conventional bending, OB/OD takes a
fair bit of hard work to master
and the average harp customer, I believe, just isn't interested in either
that or the customising necessary.
I think the success of the 30 reed harp would have been much better for the
industry, let alone
my ears.
The XB40 failed, largely because of its tone (too much in the mids, I feel)
and the fact that it was probably TOO bendable, making it a little hard to
stabilize the pitch.
I think The Sub30 sounded like a conventional harp; just needed those extra
valves.
It failed, I suspect, because of a breakdown in the relationship with
Suzuki & Mr.Power.
Yeah, I know! Demonstrate!  Ok....I'll see what I can do.
Maybe I'll just wait until the whole thing "blows over" haha!
RD