[Harp-L] Will Scarlett's place in the history of overblows

Tom Halchak info@xxxxx
Mon Feb 14 12:02:07 EST 2022

Hello Rick:

Thanks for your email.  We can agree to disagree agreeably.  I am hardly a
professional harmonica player, but I have been playing for just about 50
years.  I'm not half bad.  In addition, as you know, I build custom
harmonicas.  I have been customizing harmonicas for about 10 years.  It has
been a steep upward climb. There is always something new to learn and some
way to get better.  That is part of the enjoyment for me.  I think I hit my
first 6-overblow about 9 or 10 years ago - quite by accident.  I didn't
understand them.  I didn't know what caused them.  I didn't understand how
to set up harps to facilitate them.  But I was intrigued.  I started to
practice playing the overblows.  It was a struggle at first, but with
persistence, they became much easier. I went through the identical learning
curve when I took on the challenge of learning how to tongue block.  As I
was developing my playing skills, my customization skills were following a
similar path.  I was building a lot of harps (still am) and I was getting
tons of practice setting up harps.  The Overblows came first.  The
Overdraws came later.  Different skill set - both for playing them and
customizing reed plates to play them.  My skills developed in parallel.
For a few years I was kind of operating in the dark.  I didn't really have
an expert to guide me in these uncharted waters.  It wasn't until I started
working with Jason Ricci that I had someone who could critique my ability
to set harps up specifically for Overblows and Overdraws.  He has been, and
continues to be, a tremendous resource for me.  Just a great guy to bounce
ideas off of and to send my experiments to for evaluation.  It was not
until after I could deliver a harp to Jason and he was able to take it
straight up on stage and perform with it immediately that I started
offering Overblow/Overdraw Harmonicas.   That was about 5 years ago.  As I
said, I am not a professional musician, but in order to be able to build an
Overblow/Overdraw harp you have to be able to play them.  Furthermore, you
have to be able to set harps up to respond the way a professional musician
wants and needs it to - such as the ability to bend the Overblows and
Overdraws for added inflection and the ease with which you can release the
Overblows and Overdraws.  Lots of very subtle little things.  I simply do
not agree with your statement that they sound awful.  They don't sound
awful when I play them and they don't sound awful when lots and lots of
guys play them.  I just plain disagree with you on that.

Regarding the SUB-30, I share your disappointment.  As you know, I am
heavily invested in the SUB-30 and have been since the day it was
introduced at SPAH in 2012.  Brendan Power, inventor of the SUB-30,
commissioned me to build a custom comb it when I met him at the SPAH
Convention.  Without going into minute details, Brendan made his first best
guess on a couple of designs and we got things off the ground.  It was
Brendan who developed the Overvalve Plate - not me.  Brendan's
Overvalve Plate adds 6 additional valves on the 1-6 chambers and
required some pretty involved handiwork to install it on a SUB-30.
Brendan, of course, has moved on and has developed a myriad of other
ingenious harmonica designs and probably has little to do with the SUB-30
now.  On the other hand I improved his designs and developed the External
Valve Plate, which adds 10 valves and is super easy to install.  I also
redesigned the custom comb for the SUB-30, so there has been a significant
evolution.  I even modified and improved my original design for the
External Valve Plate.  EVP 2.0, if you will.  The custom components I have
developed, plus expert reed work, has transformed the SUB-30 into a very
very good instrument.  It is kind of a best kept secret.  So I do share
your feelings about the SUB-30 and would like to see it become a little
more mainstream.  I think back in 2012, it was a good idea that was poorly
executed by Suzuki, but thankfully, it is still in production.  I also
think that the popularity of Overblows and Overdraws as an option for
playing chromatically has had an impact on the success of the SUB-30.  Just
my 2 cents.

Anyway - always fun to have a friendly debate.  All the best to you.

Tom

--
*Tom Halchak*
*Blue Moon Harmonicas LLC*