[Harp-L] Diatonic skill/competency level

Robert Eberwein reberwein@xxxxx
Sat Feb 12 11:45:10 EST 2022

In discussing ‘chromatic vs. diatonic tone’ (more or less) David Naiditch
made a great point: “When I hear “Summertime” played in 3rd position, for
example, I cringe when I hear the 3 draw bent down a whole step.  It sticks
out like a sore thumb compared to the other notes.”>>> I have to admit, I
often, if not careful, bend the #3 draw a half step too far; and I think
it’s a pretty good/interesting way to classify the extent of one’s diatonic
competence. It’s a kind of musical laziness that reveals the fact that I
never got around to really knowing my way around the harmonica (like I
meant to)- similar to really wailing on the #4 draw when I don’t know what
else to do. One hear’s a lot of people at my level do those two things.
Interesting (to me)…

Rob (40 years of intermediate playing)