[Harp-L] Mics and gear question

bad_hat@xxxxx bad_hat@xxxxx
Thu Feb 3 06:59:14 EST 2022

Fender "White" Higher Fidelity amplifier, Alesis Midiverb 3, Shure SM545
microphone.  The White is basically a Fender Tweed Princeton.  Tube amp,
single 6V6 output, Oxford 8EV (8") speaker. I use the Alesis for delay,
I prefer delay over reverb.I can play loud and crunchy or compressed and
fat or clean with this set up.  Mostly just using proximity to the
microphone.  I tripped over the White at a swap meet and haven't played
anything else since then.  20 years or more now. I have a 1961 Concert,
a very nice Silverface Champ and a 1961 Blonde Bassman, I haven't played
through any of them for years and years.

The 545, it was given to me by a friend.  I dropped the original 545 one
too many times and it stopped working I found another on eBay.  I use
the older one with the on off switch.  The impedance can be high or low
you do the switch with the pin out on the cord.  It's an oddball cord,
XLR to 1/4" no adapter.  I've played the 545 for longer than the White.
It's nice to find something that just works because once you do you can
stop obsessing and just play.  That thing of spending an entire gig
fussing over tone, gone.  It's a rare night when I plug in and play and
don't get the sound I want within one or 2 songs.

While the White is pretty impossible to find these days there are many
Tweed Princeton clones out there.  There's even a very accurate
White clone available but it's spendy. fjm