[Harp-L] MIDI Sounds from a Standard Harmonica

bren@xxxxx bren@xxxxx
Sat Mar 28 16:44:04 EDT 2020

I've found that the mic choice for reliable MIDI triggering is quite
important. I've tried a whole bunch of them of different types, from
bullet-type crystal mics to dynamic cardioid vocal mics like the SM58, small
lapel mics, even PCM mics. The dynamic cardioid ones seem to work best.

Greg Heumann's excellent Bulletini, which he describes as having "... a
brand new high impedance dynamic element developed specifically for harp
players" is a good Midi trigger mic. It's easy to cup, to cut out extraneous
sounds. I find the Bulletizer that Greg makes for his Ultimate Series based
on the Shure SM57 and 545SD helps focus the sound and, because it ensures
the element is completely enclosed, helps stop speaker noise from intruding.
These mics are very good Midi triggers also.

I would assume the Lone Wolf Jason Ricci model should work well for this
purpose too, though I haven't tried it yet.

All these mics are great for getting a fat blues harp tone, but not so good
for clean playing. I prefer the Audiz Fireball-V for that.

Brendan Power
www.x-reed.com
www.brendan-power.com
www.youtube.com/brendanpowermusic