[Harp-L] Seydel SYMPHONY 48 magnetic

JOSEPH LEONE 3n037@xxxxx
Mon Jan 27 14:34:20 EST 2020

I agree. I have dozens of magnets. And something I realized back in the 60s when I had 2 small Scotty dogs (one black, one white) that came with Black & White Scotch, was that at a distance there was NO repelling factor. Then when close together there was.

SO..we're talking about 4mm (.1577") movment to a chromo's slide. Yes, a magnet would work. BUT since a spring has a departure angle beween the legs at about 70-105 degrees with no load, and the spring is loaded once squeezed into the spring retaining hole, there is already a torque of several inch ounces.

(figures only used as a guide). The tension is about 7 ounces at NO load. When the slide is pushed, the tension is about 8 ounces. All within 4mm. And the tension can be increased or decreased by re-adjusting the departure angle of the spring..to suit.

I don't see this with magnets. It would take a terribly stong magnet to even start at 7 ounces. Ergo, I feel that a magnet starts out with (virtually) no load or tension. I suppose suitable magnets could be found but as mine are all 'liberated' from electronics, I have yet to find a proper match. SO I see the result is that if one isn't careful as to how they rest their slide button in their hand, on the crease between their index finger and palm (as I do), it would be fairly easy to inadvertantly 'chip into' other notes. Maybe it would sound Ginchy, maybe not. :)

smokey-joe & the cafes
p.s. are you the man who lives up on Mt Royal near Shaler high school?