[Harp-L] Bluesette on Chromatic?

Slim Heilpern slim@xxxxx
Thu Oct 31 10:38:44 EDT 2019

Hi Blake -

Jazz tunes like Bluesette can be difficult compared to straight-ahead blues simply because the key of the tune is constantly shifting. Michael Rubin's response points this out beautifully.

However, you didn't mention if you just want to be able to play the head or if you want to be able to improvise over it (without sounding bad). The former is significantly easier, but will likely take some significant practice time. To learn the head, learn it in pieces, say, 4 bars at a time. Don't move on to the 2nd 4 bars until you've mastered the first, etc..

Toots (and just about everyone) played this on a standard solo-tuned C chromatic. And yes, you can get chroms in different keys, but with respect to Bluesette, I don't think it would be much easier on a B-flat chrom.

Michael's correct regarding learning the major scales, which is essential for improvisation, but it's not necessarily a prerequisite for learning the head note-for-note.

My advice is don't be in a hurry, learn the fundamentals, preferably from a good teacher and understand that there's no easy path -- you'll need to be motivated if you really want to learn this stuff. But the rewards are significant, not just for playing jazz because the knowledge and chops you'll gain will help you play better in all styles.

Hope this helps...

- Slim