[Harp-L] harp-l is now 27 yrs old

owner-harp-l@xxxxx owner-harp-l@xxxxx
Tue Oct 8 09:19:33 EDT 2019

The list quietly turned 27 on October 6.  Chris Pierce our founder and the
original list owner made the first and only post of that day but by the
7th a couple of others had trickled in.  A week later on October 13 things
had picked up and we were off to the races.

To put this in perspective in 1992 there was no internet as we know it
now.  There were no browsers.  The inception of harp-l was about as grass
roots as you can get.

October of 1993 is when things started gathering steam.  Winslow Yerxa
showed up on the list and listed harp-l in his HIP (Harmonica Information
Publication) magazine which is how I believe I found harp-l.  I was late
to the party though, June 1994 and by then this was a large and thriving
list.

All of this was pre AOL.  Most of the people on harp-l had access to
university or government e-mail accounts.  I was on a VAX cluster using
PINE to compose, PINE, Pine is not Elm.  Elm was way better than VI but
PINE was even better.

Different time but at the same time there was some truly amazing harmonica
content on this list.  Over blows were mentioned in the first year,
retuning showed up early too.  We're a lot less prolific now than we were
in our heyday but harp-l continues to delight me with some amazing gems
still being posted.

harp-l-listowner