[Harp-L] Harp-L Digest, Shofu Brownies

Michael Easton diachrome@xxxxx
Sun May 26 07:52:07 EDT 2019

Since I first recommended the Brownies about 21 years ago, I’ve, and others have discovered other abrasives worth using to tune reeds.
The Shofu’s are soft and tend to leave a silicone residue behind when used aggressively to retune.  A good source for dental burs or “rubber/silicone” type abrasives to use with rotary tools is Rio Grande. Google it. They supply materials for the jewelry and craft industry and carry a lot of options.  Most Dremel type tools use 3/32 shank burs and abrasives.  Depending on the manufacturer the item is color coded to ID the grit being Super smooth to coarse.  There is no uniform color code so read the info carefully and buy the product with the proper size shank.