[Harp-L] Ear Protection

shuffling@xxxxx shuffling@xxxxx
Fri May 17 12:17:59 EDT 2019

Two options of which I’m aware are “musician’s” earplugs and audio earphones. Neither are inexpensive, but they might work for you.

Musician’s earphones are custom made by an audiologist. They are molded for your individual ear canal and can take different noise filters with different levels of noise attenuation depending on preference. They tend to reduce the sound level without distorting the sound spectrum as much as regular ear plugs so that the sound you hear is more natural, just at a quieter level.

The other option are audio headphones/earbuds that block outside noise, but feed to you the output from the venue’s sound system, so you get the full sound of the band at a volume you can control. Not sure what collateral equipment you or the house needs to make this work, but it may be worth looking into.

You point to a real and ongoing problem for harp players so thanks for raising and hope this list can come up with good solutions. Good luck!