[Harp-L] Cheating

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Tue May 7 12:37:11 EDT 2019

 Vern wrote:
<<
I thought that it would be fun for our band to play ?The Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly?.  However the ADADA 16th-note riffs were a problem because none
of our elder musicians could play them fast enough. I tried
tongue-switching on a chromatic but could not do it cleanly at tempo.
So, I retuned the three blow C# reeds of an A diatonic up to D.  Now the
A-D  pairs lie on adjacent blow reeds in 3 octaves.
I also glued the draw reeds in the same chambers shut to absolutely
eliminate leakage. Now I can easily warble the ADADA quickly and cleanly at
tempo.  With reverb it sounds ethereal.  Then the steel guitar plays the
"wah wah wah" response.
<<

Sounds like fun, but since this is a warble on a perfect 4th, why wasn't it
sufficient to play it on an appropriately keyed harp as a draw 1-2 warble
or a blow 3-4 or 6-7 warble?  All of those are perfect 4th warbles with a
constant breath direction.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
--
Check out Richard Hunter's 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The
Lucky One" at https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)