[Harp-L] Cheating

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Mon May 6 04:46:53 EDT 2019

I thought that it would be fun for our band to play “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”.  However the ADADA 16th-note riffs were a problem because none of our elder musicians could play them fast enough. I tried tongue-switching on a chromatic but could not do it cleanly at tempo.

See/hear:  https://youtu.be/pLgJ7pk0X-s <https://youtu.be/pLgJ7pk0X-s>   https://youtu.be/AFa1-kciCb4 <https://youtu.be/AFa1-kciCb4>

So, I retuned the three blow C# reeds of an A diatonic up to D.  Now the A-D  pairs lie on adjacent blow reeds in 3 octaves.
I also glued the draw reeds in the same chambers shut to absolutely eliminate leakage. Now I can easily warble the ADADA quickly and cleanly at tempo.  With reverb it sounds ethereal.  Then the steel guitar plays the "wah wah wah" response.

I didn’t tell anyone in the band that the harp can only play A and D.

In the unlikely event that anyone wishes to use this trick on this song, I can email the sheet music.

Vern