[Harp-L] the valve "gargle"

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Thu Jun 13 18:35:44 EDT 2019

Slim, your experience is consistent with my theory of the problem.  Introducing some leakage makes the combined embouchure+reed-chamber less resonant.  This allows the steady breath pressure to dominate  the sound pressure peaks.  However, it isn’t a good solution because it is detrimental to tone and responsiveness.

As I have said in other posts, I (and Joe)  prefer to use a soft, quiet valve material. You are making the air cavity less resonant. We are making the valve less resonant.

It would be desirable to have a hard/springy/stiff valve and a highly resonant air cavity.  However, engineering is the art and science of choosing compromises.

Vern