[Harp-L] the valve "gargle"

JOSEPH LEONE 3n037@xxxxx
Thu Jun 13 15:51:39 EDT 2019

You are exactly correct Slim. So correct in fact, that I had to run at full speed and bash my head into the side of my garage wall.
Material can deform. And the brass is made with TWO soft metals. One is zinc. The atoms knit together in this alloy but the resulting alloy is still relatively soft.
one can combat this phenominon by working the screws in a middle to ends pattern. WHY? Well if you work from one end, by the time you get to the other end, even though you had used the same precise inch ounces of torque, you will still have flexed the reed plate. And it this flexing which I feel causes a 'pinch' in the reed slots. So even though the valves are installed well, you can still get deviations in air flow.

A word about plastics. A long time ago a clothing zipper manufacturer decided to try plastic teeth instead of metal. What happened was that a woman would wear a dress and while dancing, the heat of her body would soften the plastic and the zipper would fail. Ergo? plastics are good for some things. But not everything. :)

It is common for a player to warm a chromatic enough that when they lay it on it's side., the valves on the bottom can droop. The way to combat that is to install a 'whisker' to that particular valve.

Plastics have come a long way since then and even though I only know Brendan enough to know that he is a genius, I suspect that his gaskets are some form of silicone or living nylon. So I (as an island) lol, will be very interested to see how this whole enchilada turns out.

Gieuseppi Montecristo