[Harp-L] Sand Eraser (for finishing up stainless steel reed work)

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Sat Jun 1 14:27:16 EDT 2019

> On Jun 1, 2019, at 10:30 AM, JOSEPH LEONE <3n037 at xxxxx> wrote:
>>

> Ok, I don't want to seem arrogant or conceited here but I have been trying all sorts of things over the past umpteen years on harmonicas. As well as other things. And after all this time I have concluded that while there is always a way to improve them most are unnecessarily tedious, time consuming, and I always look at the benefits weighed against the results. So I don't bother to do much of anything anymore. And trust me now or believe me later, I have tried about EVERYTHING. lol. Now I play them out of the box and do occasional fix its. And that's it.
>
> I used to polish out the scratches, I used to burnish reed slots. But if one is playing at the 95.6 percentile and the harmonica is at the 95.6 percentile also, there isn't much point of spending the time. Of course if one is playing above the 95.6 percentile, it might make sense to try for a harp that is also above 95.6%. Ergo....custom harps. Which is fine. If that's what you need (or desire).
>
> All this agonizing over minutae is just not logical.
> smokey-joe

I could not have said it better.  I have found only two things that perceptibly improved harmonica performance:
   Modifying 270 slide assembly to reduce leakage.
   Making compressed Ultra-suede valves and waxing the reed plate to suppress sticking popping in chromatics.

The search for a magic transformation futile. Exotic materials do not produce exotic sounds.

Vern