[Harp-L] Sand Eraser (for finishing up stainless steel reed work)

JOSEPH LEONE 3n037@xxxxx
Sat Jun 1 13:30:47 EDT 2019

> On June 1, 2019 at 8:01 AM Robert Coble <robertpcoble at xxxxx> wrote:
>

> The Duke of Wail asks: "[Use a sanding eraser for] Finishing for appearance-sake?"
>
> No, use it to work down the final few cents after using a diamond bit on a handheld engraver
> to "get within the ballpark" of the desired pitch. Because of the fine grit ('sand'), it will still abrade the
> stainless steel, but with much less effect than the engraver tool.

Yes, this is it. The intention is for a final hertz. What I did was to chuck a round eraser (usually found on a mechanical pencil) into a drill motor and spin it against the reed while
backing the reed up from below with a single edged razor blade. The reason for the single edged blade? Because a double edged blade is too thin and will allow the eraser pressure to bend the reed unduly. A single edged is much much thicker and will hold the reed flat.

> I generally don't do cosmetic work on the reeds. I know it's considered going above and beyond to
> polish out the tuning 'scratches' made at the factory.

Yes it IS way too much effort for very little gain.

 I look at it this way: if the factory did it, it (probably; likely?) doesn't adversely affect the reed TOO MUCH (otherwise, they wouldn't do it that way).

I feel the same way.

> I'm sure that other techs would disagree with me. That's part of why they are in the business; I'm not.

Ok, I don't want to seem arrogant or conceited here but I have been trying all sorts of things over the past umpteen years on harmonicas. As well as other things. And after all this time I have concluded that while there is always a way to improve them most are unnecessarily tedious, time consuming, and I always look at the benefits weighed against the results. So I don't bother to do much of anything anymore. And trust me now or believe me later, I have tried about EVERYTHING. lol. Now I play them out of the box and do occasional fix its. And that's it.

I used to polish out the scratches, I used to burnish reed slots. But if one is playing at the 95.6 percentile and the harmonica is at the 95.6 percentile also, there isn't much point of spending the time. Of course if one is playing above the 95.6 percentile, it might make sense to try for a harp that is also above 95.6%. Ergo....custom harps. Which is fine. If that's what you need (or desire).

All this agonizing over minutae is just not logical.
smokey-joe