[Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players (John Popper)

Boris Plotnikov ploboris@xxxxx
Thu Jan 31 12:33:43 EST 2019

чт, 31 янв. 2019 г. в 3:22, Tin Lizzie <TrackHarpL at xxxxx>:

> On Jan 29, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Boris Plotnikov wrote:
>
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 02:17:50 +0300
> > From: Boris Plotnikov <ploboris at xxxxx>
> > To: Robert Hale <robert at xxxxx>, harp-l harp-l
> >       <harp-l at xxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players (John Popper)
> >
> > Check John Popper's interview https://youtu.be/DXXyUJRiC88
> > This one of the best harmonica and music tutorial I ever saw. Key thing
> of
> > his playing is rudiments instead of scales. Check online Howard Levy
> > harmonica school for more info on rudiments.
>
> Hi, Boris,
>
> Would you be willing to elaborate a bit on what you mean by ‘rudiments’ vs
> ‘scales’?  The John Popper youtube interview didn’t speak to this, and I
> confess I don’t want to sign up (and pay) for the whole of Howard Levy’s
> online school just to scratch this one curiosity itch.  (I Googled ‘Howard
> Levy Harmonica Rudiments’, but didn’t come up with anything that looked
> straightforward.)  I’m thinking ‘scale patterns’, but if you mean something
> other than that and are willing to share, I’m all ears.  Thanks!

Rudiments are hole patterns not part of scale. E.g. simple pattern
draw-draw-blow  excercise -4 -5 5   -5 -6 6  -6 -7 7  -7 -8 8  -8 -9 9   -9
-10 10 and backward -10 -9 9  -9 -8 8  -8 -7 7 etc.

This is a good excercise on moving through the harmonica if you play this
excercise in different rhythms (8th, 16, triplets). Trick with
richter-tuned harmonica - you have different note patterns from different
holes but it still fits dorian scale (Dm dorian for C harp) or myxolydian
(G7 myxolydian for C harp) and some parts of rudiments can sounds musical
but unpredictable and uncommon and can be played very fast.
Rudiments I use a lot are:
-4 -5 5 4 (same from each hole)
Paradidle -4 4 -4 -5 5 -5 5 4
Or if you want to move next hole
-4 4 -4 -5 5 -5 5 6 (and start next paradidle on 6 draw)

> Best wishes,
> Tin Lizzie
>
> --
Thanks, Boris Plotnikov