[Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players (John Popper)

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Thu Jan 31 07:33:14 EST 2019

I believe they are referring to drum rudiments....patterns drummers use.....para-diddle, flam-a-diddle, etc, and assigning inhale/exhale to the left hand/right hand patterns...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tin Lizzie <TrackHarpL at xxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Jan 30, 2019 9:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players (John Popper)

On Jan 29, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Boris Plotnikov wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 02:17:50 +0300
> From: Boris Plotnikov <ploboris at xxxxx>
> To: Robert Hale <robert at xxxxx>, harp-l harp-l
>     <harp-l at xxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players (John Popper)
>
> Check John Popper's interview https://youtu.be/DXXyUJRiC88
> This one of the best harmonica and music tutorial I ever saw. Key thing of
> his playing is rudiments instead of scales. Check online Howard Levy
> harmonica school for more info on rudiments.

Hi, Boris,

Would you be willing to elaborate a bit on what you mean by ‘rudiments’ vs ‘scales’?  The John Popper youtube interview didn’t speak to this, and I confess I don’t want to sign up (and pay) for the whole of Howard Levy’s online school just to scratch this one curiosity itch.  (I Googled ‘Howard Levy Harmonica Rudiments’, but didn’t come up with anything that looked straightforward.)  I’m thinking ‘scale patterns’, but if you mean something other than that and are willing to share, I’m all ears.  Thanks!

Best wishes,
Tin Lizzie