[Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Wed Jan 23 16:31:38 EST 2019

The Iceman wrote:
<Popper was big with the Gen X - 80/90's speed metal crowd loved him. He
"sequenced" <fast more than actually played, IMO.

Anybody who plays at the speed Popper plays has to rely on
patterns--thinking note by note at that speed is way too slow.  That's as
true of Coltrane as it is of Popper.

Speaking of which: instrumentalists in general get pretty short shrift in
this era.   Most people could probably name a few guitarists.  Some could
name a keyboard player or two.  Maybe one saxophonist (Kenny G, of
course--who else?).  But that's about it.  Bands have brands, singers have
brands--instrumentalists with a well-known brand are pretty scarce.

Hey, it could be worse.  We could be talking about composers... I'm not
sure I can name any of those myself... oh, wait, I can.  But still.

Regards, Richard Hunter
--
Check out Richard Hunter's 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The
Lucky One" at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)