[Harp-L] Famous "Harmonica players"

Dennis Michael Montgomery gaulay2@xxxxx
Sun Jan 20 20:04:02 EST 2019

 An exception to this might be (and I do mean might be) Charlie McCoy. And if my memory serves correctly Charlie's first recording was on Roy Oberson's Candy Man.

    On Sunday, January 20, 2019, 4:50:50 PM MST, The Iceman via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx> wrote:

 Musselwhite is touring with Ben Harper, so a whole new generation are getting turned on by what Charlie is doing!
hey, in Detroit? good player is Brian Miller! do you know who he is?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronnie Schreiber <autothreads at xxxxx>
To: harp-l at xxxxx <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Famous "Harmonica players"

" I always felt that Lennon, Jagger, Young, Dyllan, and several more
played appropriate harp for the music they did. Some primitive to be sure."

Their playing serves their music well, that's true. Rudimentary playing
can be very effective.

However, if you asked 100 people who a good guitar player is/was, they'd
name someone like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Slash, or John Mayer,
actually good guitar players. If you asked 100 people who a good
harmonica player is/was, they'd mention the names above, musicians who
use the harmonica as a secondary instrument and play styles that aren't
generally highly regarded by actual harmonica players and enthusiasts.
Even musicians don't know about harp players. I know one guitar player
who knows who Jason Ricci is because he was on a blues cruise where
Jason played. Some might know of Musselwhite because he played on a lot
of seminal Chicago stuff, otherwise they know the old Chicago guys like
the Walters and then Butterfield, but current or recent harp virtuosos?
Not likely. Around here, the Detroit area, a few might know about Peter
Ruth since Madcat lives in Ann Arbor. If I mentioned George Smith or
William Clarke, I'd get a blank response.