[Harp-L] Nail polish and bubble

Tom Halchak info@xxxxx
Sun Jan 20 13:05:22 EST 2019

> …….Whereas Vern practices pseudoscience, arguing that bumblebees can’t
fly,
I have never argued that bumblebees can’t fly.  They can’t glide.  Rapid
wing flapping makes the difference.

> comb material has no affect on tone
That is my claim.  No one has ever demonstrated the ability to discern
different comb materials under controlled conditions.  If they think that
they can, they can take up my 20+ year old $1000 wager that they can’t.

> and precision reed work yields no measurable effect on response,
I did not question precision reed work in general.  I questioned whether
the reduction in leakage from use of the nail polish was large enough to
perceptibly affect performance.

> and Brendan practices Voodoo Witchcraft to conjure up radical concepts,
I have never made such an accusation.  Brendan is a not only a dynamite
virtuoso but also a clever innovator.  I applaud his effort to experiment
with nail polish even if I doubt its effectiveness.

> In the Real World, The Market is genius.   In the Real World, people vote
with their wallets………....
Those who wish to believe “vote with their wallets” for Bernie Madoff’s
investments, apricot-pit cancer cures, over-priced beverages, fancy
cosmetic packaging, quack food supplements, astrology advice, Enron stock,
etc.  The image of a cool mountain stream may influence my selection of
beer when I probably could not tell the difference between Coor’s and the
cheapest bellywash in a blind comparison.  Hardly anyone is immune to
wishful thinking.

Vern:
Please excuse my delayed response to your humorous post on the 17th.
Regarding comb materials and tone, I hereby accept your $1000 challenge
under the following conditions:
1. We use custom combs made by Blue Moon Harmonicas.
2. I build the harmonicas to be used in the test.  You will have the right
to inspect them before they are used in the test to make certain they are
identical except for the material of the combs.
3. I get to choose a panel of experts who will participate in the test.
Their role will simply be to listen to each harmonica and identify which is
being played.
4. Regardless of who wins the bet, the $1000 friendly wager will be donated
by the loser, in both of our names, to create Youth Scholarships at SPAH.
Regarding your questioning whether “the reduction in leakage from use of
the nail polish was large enough to perceptibly affect performance.”
Let me give you a simple example which just happened on Friday, Jan. 18th.
I was putting the finishing touches on a custom harmonica I was building.
I build diatonic harps which are specifically designed to be played
chromatically via the use of Overblows and Overdraws.  These require
extensive reed work.  I also build diatonic harps which are designed for
more general playing – blues, rock, country, gospel, etc.  Although I don’t
market them as overblow harps, they all will overblow on the 4, 5 and 6.
True to form, this particular harp did indeed overblow but there was an
awful squeal on the 6 overblow.  Overblow players are all too familiar with
this.  I whipped out one of my newly acquired Nair Art Pens and painted the
bases of the 6 blow and 6 draw reeds, as Brendan demonstrates in his
video.  Voila!  The squeal instantly disappeared.  Case closed.  I submit
that is most certainly a positive affect on the performance of those reeds
in a very audible way.
Regarding your comments about people voting with their wallets, are you for
real?  You are comparing the purchase of custom harmonica combs to Bernie
Madoff and Enron?   That is a bit of a stretch even for you.  And, quite
frankly, if I was thin skinned, I might even be a little insulted.
And finally, your admission that you could not distinguish between “Coor’s
and the cheapest bellywash in a blind comparison” is entirely consistent
with your inability to distinguish between the tones made by different comb
materials.  It doesn’t make your argument.  It makes mine, and mine simply
that there is a difference but not everyone can hear it to the same
degree.  Some people have better ears than others. Just like some people
have better vision than others.  If I have poor eyesight and can’t see
something someone else can see, it doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Tom

*Tom Halchak*
*Blue Moon Harmonicas LLC*
*P.O. Box 14401 Clearwater, FL 33766*