[Harp-L] Brendan and Vern

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Fri Jan 18 21:47:01 EST 2019

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 6:39 AM, Tom Halchak <info at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> …….Whereas Vern practices pseudoscience, arguing that bumblebees can’t fly,
I have never argued that bumblebees can’t fly.  They can’t glide.  Rapid wing flapping makes the difference.

> comb material has no affect on tone
That is my claim.  No one has ever demonstrated the ability to discern different comb materials under controlled conditions.  If they think that they can, they can take up my 20+ year old $1000 wager that they can’t.

> and precision reed work yields no measurable effect on response,
I did not question precision reed work in general.  I questioned whether the reduction in leakage from use of the nail polish was large enough to perceptibly affect performance.

> and Brendan practices Voodoo Witchcraft to conjure up radical concepts,
I have never made such an accusation.  Brendan is a not only a dynamite virtuoso but also a clever innovator.  I applaud his effort to experiment with nail polish even if I doubt its effectiveness.

> In the Real World, The Market is genius.   In the Real World, people vote with their wallets………....
Those who wish to believe “vote with their wallets” for Bernie Madoff’s investments, apricot-pit cancer cures, over-priced beverages, fancy cosmetic packaging, quack food supplements, astrology advice, Enron stock, etc.  The image of a cool mountain stream may influence my selection of beer when I probably could not tell the difference between Coor’s and the cheapest bellywash in a blind comparison.  Hardly anyone is immune to wishful thinking.

Vern