[Harp-L] Overblows - 12 keys

Laurent Vigouroux laurent.vigouroux@xxxxx
Tue Feb 12 13:16:53 EST 2019

Hello all

As I've just made the exercise again (playing in 12 keys), I've had a look at harp-l regarding this subject and I've just discovered this post by Richard I did not see in November.
I'd like to reply to it. I'm not objecting what he says, it's just that we could see the other face of the coin.

Of course playing in 12 keys is just an exercise.
Of course we can change harp and use alternate tunings at will and this is pretty useful.
Of course we don’t have chords and can't play counterpoints with overblows.

But if master overblows we can:
-Handle a modulation in the tune, which does happen.
-Play "out"?
-Use the notes (any of them) we want to fit the specific context.
-Get the best of both worlds: for example playing in Gm (say the song Roxanne) on a C harp is so powerful as we can use all the 2nd position tricks. But we need the Eb (4°) and the Bb (6°) (see a far from perfect impro of mine at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlgRlKKh23A).

To do that, we've got to work intensively on the overblows and the 12 keys exercise is perfect for that. Another one is to try and play in known tunes/solos in a foreign key. For example Stevie's solo on Isn't she lovely in the real key (C#m) on a C harp.

In my point of view, overblowing is actually the technique that unlocks the harp players and encourage them to learn and play music as any other musician.
It is sticking to the positions and alternate tunings which looks "limited" to me. But I totally respect the players who do that (and I actually really enjoyed Richard's album!).

Just a question of point of view __

Happy harpin'
Laurent