[Harp-L] Playing out of tune is a Skill that can be learned

bad_hat@xxxxx bad_hat@xxxxx
Fri Aug 9 11:02:57 EDT 2019

It's an eye opener, or maybe an ear opener to get a hold of an older
Marine Band in the original 7 limit JI tuning.  If you want a window
onto the why of particular eras of playing style 7 limit can inform.
For me it took keeping one on my desk for a good long while, years in
fact to have that light bulb turn on.  7 limit is out of tune if you are
playing single note against 12T ET tuning.  Conversely though 12 T ET is
out of tune when people play chords and it is especially grating to me
when employed against just intonation tunings.

Everything is out of tune to some degree anyways. It's all a compromise.
  Every guitar I've ever heard has a place on the neck that makes me
cringe a little when I hear people playing certain chords.  It's all
relative.

Sometimes a very favoured and dear harmonica breaks a reed.  I had a
Jimmy Gordon I adored, I played that harmonica for years with a broken
reed.  Constraint frees creativity.  An unlimited world is overwhelming.
  When I finally did get that one broken reed replaced on the JG it was
never the same.  In retrospect I should have just kept it as a 19 note
harmonica.

Tripped over this today, https://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q38.html
Marine Band harmonica changes over the years.  Pat has it all in one
place.  No more obsessive buying of Hohner catalogues to try and piece
it all together.  While I cherish my patent applied for Marine Bands the
reality is I'm a player not a collector and Pat's FAQ can get you a lot
of what obsessive collecting can for a lot less money and effort.  That
the numbers are on the bottom of the earlier Marine Band covers for
instance.  I had to buy a couple before I figured out this cannot have
been an accident.  Then I had to put them all back on correctly, grrr.