[Harp-L] How much is Enough?

Jerome P. jersimuse@xxxxx
Mon Aug 5 13:17:51 EDT 2019

I totally agree with you, Joe.
There are few other points to take into  account, in my opinion.
1st the mix between what you play & what the band plays. I had an enormous
amount of work on pitch accuracy when I've recorded the album with Antonio
Valdes, because sax & harmonica play the exact same notes all the time
during the themes. If one is few cents lower than the exact pitch & the
other one is few cents higher, the result becomes unacceptable very
quickly.
Whereas if you are in the middle of a solo, and the rest of the band is
only accompanying you, the pitch precision on each individual note is less
a problem.
2nd is probably the most important and often forgotten by harp players :
the real problem is not the exact pitch of each note, but the relation
between consecutive notes. If in the same lick 1 note is a bit lower and
the next one is a bit too high, we'll much more hear a pitch problem than
if both notes are a bit high. The interval is the mot critical point. One
should concentrate on having a very good ear so that licks (licks more than
notes) sound nice & at right pitch.
3rd you'd better be few cents too high than few cents too low. Personnally,
I play at 442 Hz, to be a bit higher than the band. Many soloist do this so
that their timber seem brighter and they take more "place" in the general
mix.
Whereas being too low is not agreable for the audience.

Last but not least, to develop one's ear, there is not secret : one should
at least be able to play any not at the exact right pitch without looking
at the tuner. I meet too many people speaking about pitch accuracy and not
being able to do this.
Once this is ok, one can begin to work on licks.
Once this is done, just forget it, and concentrate on what you are playing,
pitch should not be something we're thinking about while improvizing !
Nobody's perfect ;-)

Best regards,

Jerome Peyrelevade