[Harp-L] Positions, continued / Use the right tool for the job

dh@xxxxx dh@xxxxx
Tue Oct 30 13:17:29 EDT 2018

Richard,

I appreciate you taking the time to post more details about your approach to positions
I started learning the harmonica the same way as you describe it and I personally don’t think it is wrong if it works for you but
I also bet that if you’d try a different approach and mostly if you would need to play over more challenging chord changes than blues /country you might benefit from something different even more.

When you use the position to give you a root reference you might shorten your vision / options towards improvisation because you don’t see the whole full picture instead you see the position and the licks you attached to it. If you don’t use position your vision goes 360. Positions very very often sound like position playing.
There is a bit of similarity with guitar playing where you do have positions for fingerings but most (at least jazz and progressive rock) modern players have taken a different approach and see the instrument more horizontally than in a set of boxes / positions. The best example would be Pat Metheny following the work of Mick Goodrick (Berklee)
I don’t see it as just an approach to the instrument but mostly to a different way to approach music. A lot of great saxophone, guitar, bass educators have advocated in this way for the last 40-50 years or so.

The one thing that tickles me in this debate is the ones who preach for a different approach have all tried positions but the ones saying positions rule don’t seem to have tried other ways
The main reason I quickly walked away from positions was because they weren't helping me in my quest of playing the harmonica in other music genres than blues. They even are a limitation in Bluegrass.
Last if we teach harmonica players to use the same tools as other musicians they can communicate between them as other musicians.

David Herzhaft
www.davidherzhaft.com
www.harmo.com