[Harp-L] Harp-L Digest, Vol 182, Issue 23

John Frazer harmonicajohns@xxxxx
Tue Oct 30 09:19:50 EDT 2018

So many experts. Arguing for argument’s sake. I am right- you are wrong.

When you play in the key of G blues  on a C harmonica, you are using the myxolidian scale. Just because you are using the same notes as the C scale doesn’t mean you are playing in C if the song is in G. In western music we have settled on 12 notes  using 8 note scales. This is not a universal- or even worldwide- standard.

The "second position rule of thumb” is what guitarists and keyboardists use to try to help novice players out.  For example, a tune is in G, so the guitarist say to you," Get your C harp, man”. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t. I might prefer to play a Gharp or an F harp, depending on what I want to do. BUT to get all huffy and TELL them so would make me an a-hole. Better just to say thank you. Then play whichever harp I prefer. LATER it might be ok to educate them- but not on stage when they are just trying to help.

Just dropping in. I love how I play.