[Harp-L] Modes, strengths, limitations

jaguire jaguire@xxxxx
Mon Oct 29 17:52:42 EDT 2018

There is a reason diatonic harmonica is heard everywhere.  In movie soundtracks,  in t.v. commercials, in rock and roll, in country music, in blues forms and blues-rock.  It is a rich and sweet sound full of pleasing overtones and unique soulful bends particular to the fortuitous design of the little 10 hole diatonic harmonica. Modern 10 holers these days btw are made better and sound and play better than in years past. That being said it has its limitations. The diatonic harmonica for all its very pervasive presence and beautiful strengths is decidedly not "a fully chromatic instrument". A chromatic harmonica is, a piano is. But a piano and a chromatic cannot do what a diatonic harp does. The fact of the matter,  the emperor's new clothes notwithstanding, is that a nice well crafted harp sounds beautiful only when played to its strengths and within its limitations.  What i am trying to say here is that overblows sound like crap.  Overblows sound like crap. They stick out like a sore thumb as lousy unpleasant timbre and out of tune. I've heard howard levy and carlos del junco live numerous times. Overblows are a delusion. Cletus WhiteSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone