[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Mon Oct 29 13:13:30 EDT 2018

by the head, you mean the bass line? That's the head.

Play that bass line under a G7 chord instead of the voicings that are appropriate? That sounds pretty bad. The whole idea of this song was to do away with chords - modal breakthrough, ya know. Endless options and note choices for improvising!

It's not really over a Dmin chord at all, but those specific voicings drawn from the Dorian mode. That was the whole idea.

Maybe not the best example for what you are trying to convey.

What makes the mode is a strange question here. That mode is the foundation from which this song and concept arose.

-----Original Message-----
From: dh <dh at xxxxx>
To: 'The Iceman' <icemanle at xxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Oct 29, 2018 12:53 pm
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

It means you should try to play the head over a G7 or a Cmaj7 instead of a Dmin
So simply put a play along or record a bass line or a chord vamp …

And you can also improvise with a C major scale over a Dmin7 and hear if it sounds like a C major scale or a  D dorian mode
What makes the mode ? the bass line / chord or the mode ?

As long as you won’t try you won’t understand or feel it

Best,

David Herzhaft

www.davidherzhaft.com