[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Mon Oct 29 12:44:34 EDT 2018

How does one play So What over a G7? What does that even mean?

If I play a C major scale over D in the bass, I hear D sus...(same notes, different sonority - same bricks, different building)

-----Original Message-----
From: dh <dh at xxxxx>
To: 'The Iceman' <icemanle at xxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

The So what suggestion is a simple test
Because talking about modes positions and so on is fine but experiencing it is the key to moving on
If you do it you will find out that the mode is defined by the bass or chord played behind the soloist not the mode itself
So playing on the C major scale will sound as D dorian as soon as the bass player plays a D or guitar player plays a D min7

By the same token if you take So What that is supposedly dorian and play it over a G7 or Cmaj7 it will not sound dorian anymore
It’s part of things I explain and demonstrate in my bundle Encyclopedia of scales for harmonica

Best,

David Herzhaft

www.davidherzhaft.com