[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

dh@xxxxx dh@xxxxx
Mon Oct 29 01:12:16 EDT 2018

" Yes, if you're playing a G scale on a C harp, you're in second position, regardless of which G scale you're playing'

1/ Well I'm very sorry but G mixolydian (GABCDEF) - a G scale that everybody uses all the time to play 2nd position is actually our good old  C major scale (CDEFGAB) !!!

So you’re telling me now that playing a C scale on a C harmonica is playing 2nd position ???!!! just because I started on the G ?

2/ I'm sorry even twice when I play G dorian (GABbCDEF) which is also a G scale that a lot of players use all the time as 2nd position playing that is actually the F major scale (FGABbCDE) !!!

So you’re telling me that playing in F on a C harmonica is also playing in 2nd position ?

3/ I'm confused but sorry again when I play a bluegrass tune in G major (GABCDEF#) on a C harmonica because well it is also a G scale but still not the same as the other 2

Wait a minute ... Did I just say that playing in C major, F Major and G major is playing in 2nd position ??? !!!

Oh maybe playing in 2nd position is just playing whatever you want and call it 2nd position ?

I spent a few hundred hours transcribing little Walter, Big Walter Horton and Charlie Mc Coy solos when I was 13/14 and was drawing tabs of the 2nd position as I was told those tunes were 2nd position
I quickly understood that none of them were the same thus making No sense whatsoever to use the system of positions