[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Fri Oct 26 11:44:50 EDT 2018

Question #2:      As regards modes are these simply defined by where you
start your scale on the piano keyboard while confining yourself to the white
keys?    No, modes are dictated by the note that the music resolves to.
I believe this definition is not very accurate and may cause confusion....modes are a system of half/whole tone steps that have a specific formula. Doesn't matter what note you start or end on.

-----Original Message-----
From: flyingv8 <flyingv8 at xxxxx>
To: Harp-L List <harp-l at xxxxx>; Aongus Mac Cana <amaccana at xxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Oct 26, 2018 11:00 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

Aongus, making music is the goal but communication between musicians is very important and the reason we learn theory.

Question #1:      Can you use the terms 1st 2nd and 3d positions for a
Chromatic harmonica?     You can but why would you want to do this. Chromatic can be played in all keys, major and minor.

Some Irish Trad players use the terms: 1 sharp 2 sharps and 3 sharps to
describe the keys of G,D. And A. With this system I guess F would be called
1 flat?     Yes but once again learning music theory takes care of this and allows better understanding and communication.

Question #2:      As regards modes are these simply defined by where you
start your scale on the piano keyboard while confining yourself to the white
keys?    No, modes are dictated by the note that the music resolves to. This topic is more advanced, start with learning the cycle of 4ths, the cycle of 5ths and the the sharps and flats in the 12 keys. It's really not that difficult.
Hope this helps,
Dee
Dee's Finely Tuned Instruments
Erie,PA. www.deesfti.com