[Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Fri Oct 26 11:35:56 EDT 2018

yes...terms applicable to chrom...

yes, modes are easily understood by using white keys on keyboard as you suggest, although I wouldn't say that this "defines" the modes, but is a reflection of the relationship between half/whole tones that make up the mode.

Don't freak out when folk start throwing theory terms around....it is really easier than one would think, as long as one has a good teacher to "show you the ropes".

-----Original Message-----
From: Aongus Mac Cana <amaccana at xxxxx>
To: Harp-L List <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Oct 26, 2018 10:27 am
Subject: [Harp-L] All this Positions and Modes stuff

I have to admit that I know as much about music theory as "a dog knows about
a wireless". However I am trying to pick it up on a "need to know" basis.

Question #1:      Can you use the terms 1st 2nd and 3d positions for a
Chromatic harmonica?

In other words on a C Chromatic is G 2nd D 3d. and A 4th. (and on a G
Chromatic would D be 2nd and A 3d.)

Some Irish Trad players use the terms: 1 sharp 2 sharps and 3 sharps to
describe the keys of G,D. And A. With this system I guess F would be called
1 flat?

Question #2:      As regards modes are these simply defined by where you
start your scale on the piano keyboard while confining yourself to the white
keys?

Hoping that someone may indulge an ignoramus,

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana