[Harp-L] Perfect Pitch / It's childs play :)

Jerry Deall jdeall@xxxxx
Mon Nov 19 12:04:24 EST 2018

A mathematician and an engineer at a long library table see a pretty girl at the other end of the table.
They decide to move half way down the table every few minutes to get closer. After a few moves the mathematician gives up knowing he will never get there. The engineer keeps at it knowing he will get close enough for all practical purposes.

Thanks,
Jerry Deall
SPAH Secretary
SPAH 2019 is August 13-17, @ the Grand Hyatt Tulsa, OK.

-----Original Message-----

From: 3N037 at xxxxx
To: TrackHarpL at xxxxx
Cc: harp-l at xxxxx
Sent: 2018-11-19 9:45:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Perfect Pitch / It's childs play :)

I think the antique car made of tinsel girl was speaking in shorthand?

In the electrical trades 60 cycles per second was usually considered as 60 Hertzog. IOW it was just rounded off. Like horsepower was rounded at 750 watts.
When in actually it is 745.7.
I DO agree that it matters to some. As was correctly put. IOW the key word here is ‘some’. I have always liked the rule of 7/8ths. Something used by engineers
who work on ingress and egress projects. Such as interiors of conveyances. Automobiles, planes, busses, boats,……... even hotel rooms, etc. lol.

When I was a small child the average size of a male (in the u.s. for example was: 70.13” tall and 169.11 lbs (avwa-du-pwa). So anyone who was within a few inches or
puunds of this figure were considered within the parameters of average. People outside these parameters are usually considered small or large. You hear this all
time. “He’s a BIG guy”, OR “She’s petite”.  lol.

Ok, where is this leading? I had mentioned some days ago that if one were to give 100 people a hearing test, there would be 100 different results. I suspect that
about, and remember, I said ‘about’, 95.6% would fall into the 7/8ths. And a few cycles one way or another won’t be noticed. Just as a man riding a white horse
through the streets of Krakow during a blizzard.

But to ’some’ it WOULD matter. I have known piano players who wouldn’t play a piano because it was out of tune..and messing with their head. I would comment
“It’s close enough”. They would counter with: “Yeah, maybe for Helen Keller”.

BTW, the average male (u.s.) is now around 71.11” tall and 179 lbs. (184 for Canadians).   lol.

smokey-joe (the ‘They’ that say)